They lead the strategic initiatives of the client. They rely on the tools utilized by traditional account planners. For added support, they will go to their account director or the VP of Strategy and Ecommerce based on the needs and priorities of the specific client and their challenges.
The account strategist understands the client’s target and is responsible for the consumer insight. This insight must be uniquely ownable to the client. The consumer insight sets the course for the lead team and everything they create to communicate the brand to the target. This also drives the creative brief, which the account strategist is responsible for.
The account strategist will have close contact with the client and will often times act as the day-to-day contact, but is not the sole owner of the relationship. The account strategist, along with the communications lead, will chart the course for the consumer journey.
- Day-to-day client relationship.
- Business of the client – develops and understands business goals/objectives/KPIs, marketing insights (what it takes to sell the product or service) and competitive landscape.
- Gathering and analysis of primary research and conducting of secondary research.
- Development of strategic plans, tactical recommendations, the creative brief and the consumer insight.
- Team briefings about strategy in kickoff meetings; holding teams accountable to the brief when evaluating work.
- Leadership of relationships with client’s other agency partners – taking the lead in creating integration for the client’s brand.
- Development, management and ongoing evolution of the client’s case study.
- Development and ongoing management of the brand overview/platform for internal onboarding.
- Ongoing drive for incremental revenue (organic growth/now business/surprise and delight).
- Retainer and project budget management (shared responsibility with project manager).
- Leadership of agency report cards and team trackers with account directors and executive sponsor.
- Working with account director to develop “state of the account” letter.
- Working with account director to runs quarterly lead team meeting.