The Development Manager will drive the technical architecture and assemble and lead a team of internal and external developers to build, continually enhance and support the agency’s development needs.
The Development Manager will help build the agency’s next generation platforms and web services. He/she will work closely with the Digital Director and digital creatives to develop the best possible platforms for our services, while maintaining high standards of quality and innovation. He/she will lead and grow the development team, while serving as a technology leader with our partners and various internal teams.
- Manage front and back end web developers as well as work with hosting partners and third-party developers to ensure technical quality, product quality, and efficient use of resources.
- Perform code reviews and provide feedback on all internal and external code.
- Lead development planning and technical architecture for all aspects of agency.
- Understand available and potential implementation techniques and propose the most appropriate approach.
- Serve as a high-level technical resource for the team and assume responsibility for problem solving.
- Identify, evaluate and implement new platforms and online systems, both internal and external that could be beneficial to the goals of the agency.
- Develop and manage complex project plans, ensure timelines are accurate and expectations are communicated and work with team members to understand problems, dependencies and project milestones.
- Identify, articulate and manage project risks and issues as well as drive project risks and issues through to resolution using project management methodology.
- Develop key project documentation to ensure staff member(s) and/or consultant(s) have a complete, shared understanding of what is needed to complete projects.
- Analyze and report on project metrics, e.g. hours expended vs. hours estimated, project progress, risk and issues.
- Daily communication with various team leaders, outside partners and clients and others, for direction, strategy, and priority.
- Strong understanding of frontend and backend development.
- Experience building and managing successful web development teams, both internal and remote developers, and programmers.
- Diverse understanding of software development methodologies
- Experience managing multiple projects comprising short and long development cycles without supervision.
- Experience writing technical design docs and driving them through development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills ensuring zero ambiguity and clear direction in a manner suiting the audience.
- Self-managed and creative thinker.
- Successful track record of building complex systems against deadlines.
- Familiarity with agile scrum.
- Successful track record of managing projects, tasks and meeting deadlines.
- The ability to understand the needs of our business and map high level business issues to the technical solutions.
- Experience with project estimating, scheduling/planning and task management systems.